I served as a member of the Humanities Washington Speakers Bureau from 2011-2013 and 2015 – 2016 where I spoke on the social and environmental aspects of dam removal and the history of fish and fishing in the Columbia Basin, respectively. I also regularly present to public schools, civic and conservation groups, museums and scientific organizations.
Planned presentations for the first half of 2020 include:
• March 10- “Dam Removal or Status Quo. A Balanced Perspective. Trout Unlimited. Portland, OR
• March 21- “Rivers to Reservoirs and the Future of Columbia River Salmon” Crane Festival, Othello, WA
• April 21- “Fly Fishing Blue Mountain Streams for Trout and Steelhead” Clackamas Fly Fishers, Gladstone, OR
• June 9- “Tales of Natural History and Early Fly Fishing in the Columbia River” Flyfishers Club of Portland, Portland, OR
The following is a partial list of topics and venues where I have made presentations. Of particular interest to me are those that relate to natural history and ecology of Columbia River fishes and fishing Blue Mountain streams. Please contact him if your group is looking for an entertaining and informative speaker.
• Tales of Natural History and Adventures on the Columbia River. The Reach, Richland WA
• Fishing Blue Mountain Streams for Trout and Steelhead. Tri-City Sportsman Show.
• The Plight of Unusual Native Fishes not Protected under the Endangered Species Act. Sandhill Crane Festival. Othello, WA.
• Salmon Recovery on the Dry Side. Basecamp Books & Bites. Science/Author Night. Roslyn, WA.
• Colonial-Nesting Waterbirds: Glorious and Gregarious Group or Killer of Baby Salmon? Blue Mountain Audubon Society. Walla Walla, WA.
• What’s More Important: Salmon, Fish-Eating Birds, Sea Lions or Minnows? Othello Sandhill Crane Festival. Othello, WA.
• Let’s Fish! Top 10 Sport Fish from the Mid-Columbia. Kennewick Community Education.
• Fishing Blue Mountain Streams, Columbia Basin Flycasters. Kennewick, WA.
• Half Empty or Half Full? A Balanced Rationale about Dam Removal. Harstine Hall. Harstine Island, WA, (Sponsored by Humanities Washington)
• Ecology of Dam Removal, Columbia Cascade Fisheries Enhancement Group, Tonasket, WA.
• Stream Birds of the Blues: Natural History and Ecology. Othello Crane Festival, Othello, WA.
• History of Fish and Fishing in the Columbia Basin, Twisp Grange, Twisp, WA.