I served as a member of the Humanities Washington Speakers Bureau from 2011-2013 and 2015 – 2016 where I spoke on the social and environmental aspects of dam removal and the history of fish and fishing in the Columbia Basin, respectively. I also regularly present to public schools, civic and conservation groups, museums and scientific organizations.
I’ll be “on the road again” (aka Willie Nelson) over the next few months, touring for my new book, “Bury Me With My Fly Rod.” Confirmed book signings include: June 8, 4-6 pm @ Klindts Booksellers, The Dalles, OR; June 15, 11-2 pm @ Book & Game, Walla Walla, WA; August 17, 1-3 pm @ Books For All Seasons, Leavenworth, WA. Local signings TBD.
The following is a partial list of topics and venues where Dennis has made presentations. Please contact him if your group is looking for an entertaining and informative speaker.
• Tales of Natural History and Adventures on the Columbia River. Othello Sandhill Crane Festival. March 23, 2019.
• Fishing Blue Mountain Streams for Trout and Steelhead. Tri-City Sportsman Show. January 27, 2019
• The Plight of Unusual Native Fishes not Protected under the Endangered Species Act. Sandhill Crane Festival. Othello, WA. March 25, 2017
• Salmon Recovery on the Dry Side. Basecamp Books & Bites. Science/Author Night. Roslyn, WA. December 8, 2016
• Colonial-Nesting Waterbirds: Glorious and Gregarious Group or Killer of Baby Salmon? Blue Mountain Audubon Society. Walla Walla, WA. April 21, 2016.
• What’s More Important: Salmon, Fish-Eating Birds, Sea Lions or Minnows? Othello Sandhill Crane Festival. Othello, WA. March 19, 2016.
• Let’s Fish! Top 10 Sport Fish from the Mid-Columbia. Kennewick Community Education. March 2016
• February 10, 2015 – Fishing Blue Mountain Streams, Columbia Basin Flycasters. County Gentleman, Kennewick, WA.
• March 22, 2015 – Half Empty or Half Full? A Balanced Rationale about Dam Removal. Harstine Hall. Harstine Island, WA, (Sponsored by Humanities Washington)
• Ecology of Dam Removal, Columbia Cascade Fisheries Enhancement Group, Tonasket, WA, April 10, 2014
• Stream Birds of the Blues: Natural History and Ecology. Othello Crane Festival, Othello, WA March 29, 2014.
• History of Fish and Fishing in the Columbia Basin, Twisp Grange, Twisp, WA, March 15, 2012